Wednesday, October 16, 2013

10/2/13

Whew. Crazy week. Anz. Parker finished up his first week in the mission field. It's great being with someone so fresh in the field. I love seeing the "greenie fire" as they call it. It makes me work harder too and have a more positive outlook on the work; not that I don't, but it just gives me a fresh perspective.

Since we opened a new companionship we basically started with nothing. It was back to old-fashioned street contacting and door knocking. We've met quite a lot of people and we've talked with a few that are ready to listen. One experience we had was neat. We were walking down one of the paths that runs down the canal. I'll have to get a picture of that. It's really beautiful when the canal is full. Anyway, we were walking and we stopped a man who was taking a walk with his daughter. He stopped as we were introducing our message to him and he said "I don't really believe in religion. I've read everything from A to Z and it just doesn't make sense." We then showed him the Book of Mormon and we said "Well, have you read this?" He stopped in his tracks and asked what it was and why he'd never heard of it. Obviously, we told him, that's why we're here. He was really interested to get a copy of it, so we are meeting him tonight.

We met another man on a bench on the same path. We really like that path. He is Philipino, but he grew up in Italy. He speaks perfect Italian as well as English. We started talking to him and within a matter of seconds we were sitting next to him on the bench teaching him all about Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon. He asked so many great questions and kept wanting to know more and more. We set an appointment with him the next day. Not only did he show up, but he showed up early! That's a phenomenon in Italy! We had a very spiritual lesson and he drank in every word. He's looking forward to watching the General Conference broadcast this weekend.

That's something exciting: General Conference! We get to hear from a prophet and twelve Apostles who have been called by God. I always love Conference and I think it always comes exactly when I need it in my life. I encourage all of you to watch it online, or on TV, or at a chapel, or anywhere else! It's kind of like Green Eggs and Ham. Eat them anywhere, just make sure you try them! Yah it's not the best analogy, but you're going to have to deal with it.

I'm grateful for the experiences I'm having here in Milano. I feel blessed to be doing this work and I learn and grow every day. The tiredness never goes away, but the energy somehow increases. It's a strange feeling. I feel the Lord giving me strength every day when I do what He needs me to do. That's always one of God's big promises. I've been thinking a lot lately about 2 Nephi 28:30.  "For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have." As we exercise our faith, we gain more of it. Often in our lives we wait for big changes or big moments. Sure, life has a lot of big moments, but those big moments are composed of little, everyday moments that are often overlooked. Recognize and be grateful even for the smallest things because those are what make up life.

I love all of you! Love, Anziano Simcox


I never sent the picture of Valentino's baptism. Here it is. Anz. Stewart didn't make it into the picture. That's Anziano Polson and I.


No comments:

Post a Comment