Monday, September 30, 2013

Hi there everybody! I'm here in Milano, rather permanently now. It's been a crazy few days!

I think in my email two weeks ago I mentioned how I might not be in Milano for too long. I've been in a tri-companionship for a few weeks waiting for my new companion to arrive. On Saturday, President called me and told me that my companion would be flying in this week and that we would be going somewhere else that's not Milano. I packed up my bags and got ready to head out of the city! The night before I was supposed to leave I got a call from the Assistants who basically said "Just kidding! You're not going anywhere!" President decided that Milano would be a better place for us. I'm sad I had to unpack my bags (I had them packed so nicely; Kristi Chapman would've been proud), but I am grateful that my mission president is an inspired man!

So, here I am in Milano with my new companion Anziano Parker; and when I say new, I mean NEW. Yup! I'm a father again! It came as a surprise, but I'm grateful for the opportunity to be able to help another elder find his missionary shoes. Because Anziano Parker came in during the middle of the transfer, I actually got to go to the airport with President, his wife, and the assistants to pick him up. Most new missionaries don't get to meet their trainer at the airport! That was really exciting. He was excited too, but also dead tired. His plane was delayed and he ended up being stuck in Germany for most of the morning. When we finally got him home he just about passed out! Today is our first official day together. His Italian is very good for a beginner and he has the "greenie fire" burning strong. Tonight will be our first lesson together, so we have high hopes for that.

With Anziano Parker here now, that means that the two of us are opening a new companionship here in Milano. That means we're starting with nothing! On the plus side though, we have a fancy new phone. I've never had a phone with a touch screen in my life. I have no clue what to do with the thing... We've got a lot of work to do, but we're excited to do it. For the next few weeks we'd like to focus on members and less-active members. There's plenty of members here that can help us get started!

Before Anz. Parker got here though, we had a baptism! Valentino was thrilled to take this big step in his life. On the morning of his baptism he was terribly sick. We were worried that he wouldn't be able to make it! He walked into the church though with his head held high. He told his he knew that it was an important day and he wouldn't miss it for anything. Fighting the sickness and the really cold water in the baptismal font thanks to a broken water heater, he was baptized and he was overjoyed. Afterwards he bore a wonderful testimony about how he is a changed man and how he feels so much joy to have found this truth.

That's life for now. I love being a missionary.


I love you all! Love, Anziano Simcox.


No comments:

Post a Comment