Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Buon Halloween!

It's Halloween week! It's actually not that celebrated here... I've seen a few pumpkins, but that's it. I miss standing out in the yard and scaring the rotten teenage kids that try to steal our candy. This year I think I'll dress up as a missionary. Oh wait...

We've got good things going on in Cimiano! My district makes fun of me because I say that a lot. They say it's become our district catchphrase. Really though, there's some great things going on. We will definitely be seeing a few baptisms in our ward before the end of the transfer. As President Wolfgramm always said, "the greatest miracle is the changing of a human heart." We've definitely seen that. One investigator that we're working with is working diligently and reading and praying every day. He is from Nepal and has been in Italy for eight or nine months. He converted to Christianity from Hinduism about ten years ago and he is always interested in growing his faith in the Savior. He has been studying diligently and really wants to know if he should be baptized. I love him so much and I'm so excited to see his progress and to see how much his faith has grown in the past month that we've been working with him. We met him on the Metro, cioe the subway. He was looking at our nametags, so we started talking to him about how he could know Jesus Christ more.

Last Friday we had a great lesson with a part-member family. They were married a few months ago and moved into the ward at the same time. The wife is a very active member from Colombia and does not speak much Italian at all. Her husband is Italian and is not a member. At first he started attending church just to help her through the language barrier, but in that time has started to become interested himself. The Saturday of Stake Conference, he called us and asked us if we could come give his wife a blessing (we found out later that the blessing was his idea!). While he was walking us to the house from the station he had nothing but good things to say about the church and he told us that he'd like to get to know it better. They invited us over the next week for Family Home Evening. We went over with a lesson planned, expecting that they wanted us to teach. After we said the prayer, the wife opened her scriptures and said in very confident Spanish "Today we are going to talk about the scriptures." The lesson was beautiful because everyone could feel the desire she had for her husband to understand the importance of the Book of Mormon. As he translated for her, we could hear a certain conviction coming into his voice and we know his testimony definitely grew from that lesson. This weekend they are travelling up to Bern to see the temple. I'm sure that will be a huge testimony builder for him as well.

There really are some good things going in Cimiano. I love being a missionary and I thank God for the opportunity every day. Some days are hard and I'm tired a lot. The mission is just a steady progression of tiredness. I've been sick this week too. I get sick about once a year. I made it all the way to October this year, so hey. It seems though that the harder it gets, the more blessings I see. I'm so grateful to be serving God's children here. Thank you all for the continued support and love.


Vi voglio tantissimo bene. Ci sentiamo alla prossima. Anziano Simcox

No comments:

Post a Comment