Wednesday, October 22, 2014

LA PATENTE DI GUIDA - 10/18/14

Yes. The rumors are true. Elder Simcox is now street-legal. Cool huh? Best part? They used the same picture on my new license as they did on the old. If you've ever seen the old license, you'll know why that's funny. I had my first experience of driving in Italy this week. It was pretty nerve-wracking, especially after having not driven for over a year and a half. I got used to it though. It's like riding a bike! Kind of...

My new companion, Elder Strang, is Canadian. That provides some good subject material. Canadians fascinate me because they're almost exactly like Americans, but they're not. He speaks the same as I do, except every now and then he'll use a funny word or say something differently and everybody just stops and looks at each other, wondering if we all heard the same thing. He's had all American companions though, so he's used to it now. He also brought some Canadian maple syrup, although he says that Canadians don't use maple syrup nearly as much as people think they do.

President will be going to Portugal next week for a seminar, so he's deciding transfers this week that way he doesn't have to worry about making a bunch of decisions when he gets back. That means the transfer fever is a little longer this time around. Anz. Stewart is especially interested this time because he's getting transferred to another city. It must be hard to know for sure that you're getting transferred, but not know where you're going. We know though that President is going to try as hard as he can to keep it a secret as long as possible. He enjoys watching Anz. Stewart struggle a little bit. :P

Yesterday morning we got a delivery of some supplies to the office. Anz. Strang, Sister Harmer, and I went out to help him unload. As we unloaded, he began asking questions about who we are and what we do. That lead into a nice conversation about the church and about the Restoration of the Gospel. Anz. Strang ran inside and got him a copy of the Book of Mormon. He was touched by the gesture and he said he'd read it "volontieri." He also wrote down his name and phone number for us and told us to give him a call! We passed his information over to the Elders who live in his area and they'll be contacting him soon. Even in the office, it's possible to do missionary work. I really enjoyed that experience and he was a great man.

My ward is really grateful that I play the piano. One member is really insistent that I teach her how to play. Last night I did a little bit. She didn't do too bad! I'm not sure how to teach piano though. I've never really thought about it. I'm not giving her actual lessons, just showing her a few things and giving her tips before or after church activities. Being able to play the piano has been an enormous help to me in my mission. People told me before my mission that it would be, but I never actually believed them. Playing in Church meetings has been a good way to gain peoples' trust and give them a service that they appreciate. It's also helpful to be able to play the mission hymn when occasion permits.

I'll leave it short for this week so I can give you that "break" I promised last week. :P


Vi voglio sempre bene! -Anziano Simcox

No comments:

Post a Comment