Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Simpatizzanti e Profeti - 1/14/15

Hello my dearly beloved. Another week has flown by and I have now reached the final week of my mission here in Italy. I'll reminisce next week.

This week we've started to see the work pick up a bit in Merate. The holidays are now officially over and people are over the "carefree holiday" attitude. We've been able to find several quality investigators who have some great potential. We've been working hard and we're starting to see some fruits from our efforts. That doesn't always happen as missionaries, so we're grateful that it's happening at the moment.

One great experience we had was on Monday. We did a "scambio," or a companion exchange. I took Anz. Harding from Muggiò and sent Anz. Keller down there for a day. I didn't feel like I was doing anything different that day, but for some reason, everything just worked out. We went out to talk to people and managed to have several "good gospel conversations" as my mission president calls them and we were even able to teach a couple impromptu lessons. We had a planned lesson that evening at a member's home with their friend (the ideal situation). Their friend is twelve years old, but he's very spiritually mature for his age. I might have mentioned him a couple weeks ago. Anyway he's been coming to church regularly and he's become really involved. His parents have been mostly disinterested, but allow him to research religion on his own and make a choice. On Monday however, his father came and stayed for the lesson. He really enjoyed it and will be meeting with us tomorrow! It's always better when families investigate together.

Other than that, we are working as hard as we can and just trying to be better disciples of Jesus Christ. In my personal study lately I've been studying about prophets. It's quite a bold claim that we make, to have a prophet on the earth today. It could almost be blasphemous if it weren't true. We know that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever and that he "can do nothing, save he revealeth it unto his servants, the prophets" (Amos 3:7). Prophets and Apostles, those living and those long deceased, point us to Jesus Christ. After all "This is life eternal, to know thee the one true God and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent" (St. John 17:3). I've also had a certain scripture from the Book of Mormon floating around my head lately. "And I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led" (1 Nephi 17:13). Prophets and Apostles are the fulfillment of this promise.

Have a wonderful week. Look for my "final epistle" next week. Vi voglio bene! - Anziano Simcox.


I don't think I sent a picture of the first snow we had a few weeks ago. Since then we haven't seen any snow. Actually a few days ago we had the warmest January day ever recorded... 17 degrees celsius, whatever that converts to.


No comments:

Post a Comment