Wednesday, June 25, 2014

World Cup Fever - 6/25/14


Hey everyone! I hear the World Cup is going on. Even though missionaries don't watch TV I'm still pretty updated on it anyway. It's a pretty sacred time here in Italy. Probably less now because we lost last night, but hey. When there's a game, everything shuts down... Going door to door is almost completely ineffective. Most people won't even answer, but we hear the game coming out of the windows. Apparently Germany is playing the United States tomorrow? I'm sure my family will be a little tense. Maybe it's good I'm out here instead!

It's transfer time again. This time "tocca a me" as the Italians say, or it's my turn. After six months in Bergamo it's time for me to leave. It's really hard to leave Bergamo. It's like leaving for the mission all over again. I've met so many great people and I've seen so much progress in our investigators, our members, and the branch. I honestly feel like I've been able to make a difference here, with the Lord's help of course. Tomorrow I'll be off to a city called Varese (vuh-RAY-zay). I tried to spell it American-like in the hopes that you can pronounce it. Hehe. I've never been there or heard much about it, but I know where it is. Go Google it! It's north of Milano smack-dab on the border of Switzerland. That part of Switzerland is in our mission boundaries, so I'll be able to go there on P-Day. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to send y'all some pictures of Switzerland. Die Schweiz. Excuse me.

Since I'm leaving, we've kind of been back and forth in the past few days trying to say good-bye to all the people I'll miss, i.e. all of them. I wish you could all meet these people. They've made such a difference in my life and hopefully I've been able to leave something with them as well.

I would include some pictures but my SD card is being a little wonky right... Either that or a year and a half of sketchy western union shacks is catching up on me. I'll try to get some out next week.

Our investigator from Bangladesh may have found a solution to his work schedule. We're hoping the best for him. Right now he only has a short break on Sunday afternoons. He works in a town outside of the city, but during his break, he takes the bus and the tram from his work to the Church, stays for about thirty minutes in the church and then goes back just in time for work. He's been doing it himself without anyone pushing him. This week though he got the week off and he plans to use it to look for another job. He will also be able to come to church this Sunday for the full three hours, so he's pretty excited.

Our Nigerian friend has fallen sick again with the flu... What a trooper though. We went over to his house Saturday night not knowing he was sick and he could barely stay awake. He missed church the next day because of it. He's doing great though and still preparing for baptism. He might not make it by July 5th, but a few weeks after that he should be good. All the good stuff of course happens when I leave!

Our investigator John, the one who got in the car accident and is off doing some physical therapy is recovering in a community very close to Varese. I'm hoping that I'll be able to stop by and see him! He would love to see me, and I'd love to see him!

My bags are all packed. We've got a few lessons tonight and then tomorrow morning it's off to Milano. I'll meet my new companion, Anziano Atwood, and then we'll head off to Varese.

Have a great week everyone! All the love, Anziano Simcox

No comments:

Post a Comment