Sunday, June 16, 2013

Trasferimenti!

Hey all! It's transfer week! *Cue creepy organ music.* Let me explain
what exactly happens during transfer week. (Mission vocab, transfer =
six week period).

In our mission, every sixth Monday is called GEM Monday. (More mission
vocab, GEM = Grow Every Missionary). As a GEM for the next
missionaries to live in your apartment, you spend the morning
deep-cleaning the entire apartment. It feels AWESOME to make the
apartment so clean. A clean house is a clean life. I've learned that.
It's one of those many moments when I've looked back and said, "Wow.
Mom actually knew what she was talking about!" Anyway, while we're
cleaning the apartment we're also waiting for "the call." On GEM
Monday, either President or his assistants call every companionship to
tell them what will be happening to them: Who goes where, who is whose
companion, etc. We were at a member's house for lunch when we got "the
call."

Anz. Miller will be leaving Pesaro and heading off to live and work in
Milano. How about that?! He's really excited, but he also doesn't want
to leave Pesaro. After all, he's served all six months of his mission
in Pesaro!

As for me... I've been asked to be a trainer. That means that my new
companion will be fresh off the plane from Utah. I'm responsible for
showing him the ropes, as it were I haven't even been in Italy for
three months. I'm nowhere near fluent in the language, but I at least
have enough to get around. Yes, I'm a little scared, but I'm also
really excited. Overall, I'm looking forward to it with a positive
attitude. It will be a huge growing experience for both of us. My
trainer, Anz. Miller was put in the same exact situation. We turned
out fine and I think it was a good thing to have someone so young
training me. We both learned together. That's what I'm hoping for with
this new opportunity. Both of us will be learning together, that's for
sure. I've heard it said anyway that trainee is the one doing the
training. It will be a challenging, rewarding experience. That's the
definition of a mission anyway isn't it? As always, I know the Lord
will give us power to say what we need to say and understand what we
need to understand.

Tonight, we're taking a train to Bologna, spending the night with the
anziani there, and then taking a train in the morning to Milano! I'll
pick up my new companion, leave Anz. Miller there in Milano, and then
we'll make our way back to Pesaro. It's the beginning of a new and
exciting chapter in my mission. I'm actually really looking forward to
it. Every day is an adventure as a missionary! Every day is a miracle.

Speaking of miracles, I want to write about what happened last night.
We have a wonderful family we've been teaching since the beginning of
the transfer. I know I've written about Claudio and his wife Ombretta.
About three weeks ago, they dropped off the map. Phone calls,
pass-bys... nothing worked. Monday we gave them a call again just on
the off-chance that Claudio picked up. Miracle: He did! So we set up
an appointment and went over last night. That's not even the cool part
though. Ombretta, his wife, hasn't been too interested as we've been
teaching. From the start, Claudio has been 100% on board, but he
doesn't want to be baptized without his family. Last night, during our
lesson, the doorbell rang. Claudio went down to answer it and stood at
the door talking for at least twenty minutes. So, while he was at the
door, we decided to do a lesson with just Ombretta. We felt the Spirit
so strongly and we know she did too because she told us, "You know
there's something about this book that I like. There's something about
you missionaries too. Everytime you come I feel this feeling of
peace." We had a great lesson about the Book of Mormon. At the end as
we were walking out the door, Ombretta told Claudio that the whole
family was going to church this Sunday! Claudio turned and looked at
us with a look that seemed to say, "What did you do?!?" He was happy
to have his wife on board and we look forward to seeing them in church
on Sunday.

The new mission battle cry has been fifteen lessons a week. For some
cities this is something normal, but for Pesaro it's a lofty goal.
Lately though, the work has been picking up with speed in Pesaro. It's
amazing to see the change that's happening. People are coming to
church, we're teaching lessons, we've found new people, we're picking
up old people, and we've been doing everything we can to find people
to teach. It's been challenging, but we've been able to find people to
teach and we've been reaching those fifteen lessons a week. I don't
say it to brag, but just to say what can happen with faith and
willpower. Of course, numbers are everything, but they mean nothing.
That's the great paradox of mission life. Numbers are everything
because they're necessary for keeping records and tracking progress.
The most important thing to remember though is that every number is
actually a real person... a son or daughter of God. Numbers mean
nothing because they're really people and people have free agency. We
set our goals for numbers, but we achieve our goals for people.

The lesson for this week that I've been learning is that God doesn't
call the qualified, he qualifies the called. It's a phrase I've been
thinking of as I've been thinking about this upcoming opportunity to
be a trainer. Without God's authority, we're just two (good-looking)
Americans with white shirts and ties. However, He has called us to
preach His Gospel. As long as we do our part, he gives us the added
strength to continue and accomplish whatever He's asked us to do. This
lesson works for any facet of life. God is standing with open arms
waiting to bless us, but He can't do His part unless we do ours. When
we keep our promises, He keeps His. How wonderful are His blessings
for those who work to find them.


Alla prossima settimana, Anziano Simcox.

No comments:

Post a Comment