Thursday, March 7, 2013

Salve!


Another week has gone. Twelve more days and it's off to Italia! We're supposed to get our visas and travel plans either tonight or tomorrow in the mail. :)

Spring is arriving in Utah. This past week has been gorgeous. Sometimes during our study hours we go outside to enjoy the beautiful world and those awesome mountains. I love it. Our district is getting a little antsy waiting for that flight to Italia, but we know we'll miss the MTC and especially each other. We do almost everything together (and that's not exaggerating) so we've grown to be very good friends.

We're learning the language in leaps and bounds, but sometimes during those leaps and bounds we trip and fall on our faces. :P It's enjoyable though. You have to find the good in every situation. We are being encouraged more and more to speak only in Italian. We've only been here for four weeks, but we can speak "fluent" Italian. It's very broken and gramatically incorrect most of the time, but we can communicate without using English.

My companion and I auditioned to do special musical numbers in devotional/a conference/wherever else they want us. Anziano Mata'u sang "I Heard Him Come" and I accompanied him. I auditioned with "Where Love Is" and Sorella Reichert accompanied me. We both got a yes! That doesn't mean that we're automatically selected, but if they need a musical number before we leave, they'll drop a note in our mailbox. I'm glad I still get to be involved in music even on my mission. It's such a wonderful way to invite the Spirit.

Anziano Mata'u and I have been teaching "investigators" named Leonardo and Raymond. They're actually our teachers pretending to be people they taught on their missions, so it's actually really fun... and hard. Raymond has a baptismal date, but he's struggling with learning how to receive answers through prayer. We've only had a couple lessons with Leonardo. I think he enjoys talking with us, but it's hard to catch his interest. He's a tough person to talk to, but we noticed some positive changes in our last lesson, so we're hoping we can build on that.

The lesson I've been learning this week is getting along with people. This can be hard sometimes (especially for those of you who know how patient I'm not...). I love meeting new people and making friends, but I miss having time to myself. It's hard to be with a companion 24/7. Anziano Mata'u and I are very similar, but that's a blessing and a curse. We're working on ways to strengthen our unity with each other. He's pretty much been sick since we've been here with one thing or another so that's been hard for both of us. I make him go to the doctor and take his medicine though! Hah. The lesson to be learned here is that patience is essential to missionary work and life in general. All things come in their own due time. It's a hard lesson to realize that, but it's one that all of us need to learn. As long as we put our trust in God, he will help us through our rough spots. He cares about the big things and he cares about the little things. He loves us.

I love you all! Ciao.

~Anziano Simcox

No comments:

Post a Comment